Handpainted Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera shoes!
Tag Archives for: DIY
Made using cardboard boxes as the frame and paper mache.
4 Months of work.
Approximately 17 x 25 x 17 in (43 x 63.5 x 43 cm)
13 lbs (5.9 kg)
also at – http://vimeo.com/82963037
I have been traveling a lot the past year and finding/carrying lots of different souvenirs from country to country just wasn’t practical. So I decided on pins from each country. Some people collect magnets, shot glasses or snow globes but I chose pins. They’re small and inexpensive.
What better way to display all those pins than on a travel map!
- I purchased a large world wall map off eBay for $15. Since some pins are fairly large a spacious map was needed so that the pins wouldn’t be all cramped together. This one measures 55 x 39 inches (140 x 100 cm)
- You will need some form of backing for the map. A large cardboard box from that big screen TV or foam board could be used. I used a large board I bought from the local hardware store for $10.
- Leave some space on the edges for the frame and glue it down.
- Use spray glue or Modge Podge to glue the map to the backing. Make sure there are no bubbles!
- Picture frames are expensive, especially at this size. So I used door trim which is less than $1 for a 1 foot length. I also had some scrap trim available. Measure and cut.
- I chose a dark brown color for the frame. Paint and let dry.
- Make a back support for the board which the frame can be nailed to. Again I had some scrap wood, but a few strips from the hardware store should be inexpensive. I added a center strip for some added support.
- Once you’ve nailed the board to the back support you can start nailing the frame to the board.
- Fill in the nail holes and touch up as needed. Your world map is now framed!
- Finally the fun part. Stick all your travel pins into the map.
- An awesome project that looks great and only cost around $35.